Playlist Thursday: 5 Songs

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Okay, I'm going to be straight up with ya'll. I haven't listened to a lot of new things this week. To make this playlist easier to write and so much shorter. I really have just been listening to Bon Iver's albums Bon Iver and For Emma, Forever Ago. I really recommend those. ALWAYS. Also, Gotye's album Making Mirrors. That whole record is just amazing. Some songs are so weird but they hook you so fast. I don't know how he does it. Thank you, Wally de Backer and Justin Vernon for your music that just completes me. So yes, Gotye and Bon Iver have made up most of my week since last Sunday, but have no fear I do have a fear new things to share with you.

1. Heavy Cross by Gossip
This song was a Free iTunes Download of the week, and being me, I snatched it up. It sat on my iPod with zero plays until I saw a Dior Commercial. Um...it was PERFECT! I was like what is this song? I need it. So I went on my google search and found out that it was Heavy Cross...and it was one of those glorious moments where you realize you already have the song. Sometimes all it takes is Charlize Theron, and a bunch of CGI'd old movie stars like Marilyn Monroe and Grace Kelly to get you to love a song. Oh and Dior...you can't forget Dior.*drool*

2. Learnalilgivinanlovin' by Gotye
NOT from Making Mirrors, but from his album Like Drawing Blood I kind of just want to get up and dance when I hear this song. It is just that groovy.

"Learn a little givin’ and lovin’
It’s been done before
C’mon, do it again!
Cause, if it’s good
Then you should share it round
What’s the use of keeping
all the good things that you’ve found to yourself?


3. Tomorrow by Niki & the Dove
Like my friend Karly described it, "This song is a little different...Kinda like Passion Pit and Phoenix meet the B-52’s. I really like it. And it’s a love song. Ohhhh yeah." 

4.  Wake Up by Arcade Fire
Sometimes the kid you really like gives you music recommendations and the music makes you like him even more. What a catch. 

"If the children don't grow up,
Our bodies get bigger but our hearts get torn up.
We're just a million little god's causin' rain storms turnin' every good thing to rust.
I guess we'll just have to adjust."



5.  Friends and Lovers by Incubus
If there is such a thing...there is a delicate intensity to this song. His voice is so tender but at points it gets so raw and intense. Like he's pleading or something. Sometimes you fall in love with your best friend, and I think that's how it should be. Even if people don't think it's right.

"What's wrong with you is good for what's wrong with me
and I think maybe we should stick together"



Next week, I plan on doing something a little bit different. I have been asking people what their favorite songs are and why they love them. I have gotten several answers and I want to share the songs with you. I love hearing what other people love to listen to. I find so many treasures in the music tastes of my friends. So I am excited to be sharing favorite songs from my dear friends. Happy listening everybody. Comment below with your playlist this week.





5 comments:

  1. Okay, I really needed that Arcade Fire and the Incubus song......it speaks to me. Also Gossip is fantastic...hello, new workout song! Thank you for the recs!
    And I felt so special when you used my description of Tomorrow...I am pretty much married to that song. :) Thanks.

    So I feel like I just gave you ALLLLLL the songs, but here are few of the things I listened to this week.

    1. "C'mon Talk" by Bernhoft
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxoiZZ8UBEY&feature=BFa&list=PL21E998D5F3FE23E8

    This song is AMAZING. It's got the perfect mix of vocal percussion, and vibrant, soulful vocals, and colorful guitar. It's a one man show kinda thing. You'll dig it, I swear.

    2. "Booty Swing" by Parov Stelar
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xsoCki4pTk&feature=BFa&list=PL21E998D5F3FE23E8

    I know what it sounds like. . . But it's actually a 1920s swing-ish song that was remixed. And it actually inspired me to learn the Charleston.

    3. "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song" Fleet Foxes Cover by Fist Aid Kit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMrqBldlqzA&feature=BFa&list=PL21E998D5F3FE23E8

    If you don't already know these two sisters from YouTube...now you do. They have beautiful harmonies. This is so chill.

    4. "Forget" by Lianne La Havas http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPrdfvBVaA8&feature=BFa&list=PL21E998D5F3FE23E8

    In this song, she's got the sweet but strong air of Corinne Bailey Rae's "Enchantment", but the attitude of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep." I love this lady.

    5. "Solosbury Hill" by Peter Gabriel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fF8wU4Nl9Y&feature=BFa&list=PL21E998D5F3FE23E8
    Makes me so happy. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurrrrl, you need to keep those Arcade Fire and Incubus songs with you for the rest of your life. Seriously, soooo good. I will always use your descriptions of songs. You do it so well. Bring on the songs. I made a word document with all of the songs you have suggested to me. I need to keep track of all of them. So much music...so little time.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I do! Arcade fire...SIGH. Love.
      :) I feel so honored that you do that! Now, I feel like I need to let you know I keep a word document of your ALL your blog entries and then the times that I make comments...It's like a journal of our friendship interactions. It's pretty sweet.
      P.S. . . . I am now listening to ALLLLLLL the Arcade Fire and ALLLLLL the Gotye ... because of you :) :)
      I live for Neighborhood 1 (Tunnels) by Arcade Fire.... ahhhhh~!

      Delete
    3. I have to agree with you on the "Arcade Fire...Sigh. Love" I feel the sammmmeeee way. Oh my gosh. I'm going to cry that is the sweetest and coolest thing ever. I love us! YAY ALLLL THE ARCADE FIRE AND ALLLLL THE GOTYE...Gotye...I'm obsessed. I love everything he does. Even the really weird stuff. Oh my gosh I love Neighborhood 1 (tunnels) Music soul mates indeed!

      Delete
    4. I love us, too!!!! REEEEEEEEEE! ^______^

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground