Terrific Tuesday: Dear past self...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First, as I was reading the blogs of my dear friends from school, I saw a post by my dear friend Leah about her papa. She reminded me that I need to do a post about my Daddy-O for Father's Day. Thank you, Leah for the reminder, and I will post one this coming Friday (hint: Friday Favorites...or should I say Favorite?).

Second, this Tuesday has been pretty terrific. I was able to take a little trip down to Provo. The old stomping grounds as my mom would say. Provo is a beautiful city filled with beautiful friends. We got to eat yummy food at the Brick Oven  and enjoy the feeling at BYU campus. I am so glad that I got to see people I love there. Megan, I shall return to you and Meghan someday!

Third, I would just like to talk about something this Terrific Tuesday. I was on Facebook a week ago (Heck I am always on Facebook), and I saw a status that my friend wrote. It said the following:

"If you could call your past self and tell them something, what age would your past self be and what would you say?"

I thought long and hard about the question. I didn't comment at first, because I really had to think about it. I thought long and hard about my past self and I definitely thought up things that didn't please me. I let myself think about all the little dark patches here and there. The times where I worried and stressed myself out SO much that I would be ill for weeks. The times where I wouldn't want to wake up in the morning. The parts where I was just so done with being me. I let all of these moments happen because I would beat myself up over so many little mistakes, when I wanted to be so perfect. Being a perfectionist is probably the least fun and most unhealthy thing you could ever be. It did not serve me well while I was in high school, it was a struggle to overcome in college. Now I understand that those moments really did help me reach the point where I am today. Yes, I still get bouts of dramatic "my life is over" moments, but I learned from those times, and I know the toll that they took on me. I wouldn't take away those learning experiences. I would change the way I handled some things though. So I decided I would say the following to my past self though and what age I would call. 

"Dear 17 year old past self, don't sweat the small stuff, everyone makes mistakes, and things really do work out."

Maybe it is not prophetic or very inspirational, but I have seen things work out in my life. I have seen the benefits of NOT sweating the small stuff. I have made mistakes and I have most definitely learned from them. It really has all been worth it. I am living and that really is what I want to do. Live. Make mistakes. Learn from them. Relax and wait for things to work out. Because they do. Keep trying! Stay strong! It's okay to have a bad day, just as long as you pick yourself up and keep going. Really though things do work out.

To conclude, I would like to leave you with my most favorite Mormon Message in the history of EVER. It brings so much peace in my life and it is a reminder that blessings are coming. They are there. We just have to be patient and trust in the Lord. It will be all right in the end. 

What would you say to your past self? Have you had any learning experiences that have helped you? Is there anything happy that you would like to share? Comment below. Have a terrific Tuesday everybody.

2 comments:

  1. I had read this post a couple weeks ago when you posted it and I never imagined that it could mean more to me than it did when I first read it. A LOT has happened in these past couple weeks, and as I come back to read this a second time, I realize how much I need this right now. Thank you for this post and for the reminder that there are good things to come, no matter how hard things seem. It brings to my mind the scripture in 2 Nephi 2 that says, "For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things." I must admit that there was a lot of happiness and sunshine in my soul the first time I read this a couple weeks ago. Life was easier, and because of this, it was easier to be happier and grateful.
    ...But things have turned around completely. Things are harder. It's harder to be grateful. It's been harder to focus on the healing powers of the Gospel. But coming back to this blog and reading this post has smacked some sense into me. I honestly feel like this post was written for me. Thank you.

    What would I say to my past self? Well, I thought about maybe telling my self of some age to not do some certain thing, but then I thought, "Oh, hey. If I never did this, I never would have met this person and I wouldn't have been as grateful for whatever." Sooo....I'm gonna have to go with 12-year-old me and say. . . to myself . . . ,"Spend more time with Grandma Penny, eat more fruits and veggies, listen to more of the Beatles, do more art, watch your pride, and help mom around the house more."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karly, I hope and pray that things get better for you. I am so glad that this post could touch you. That is the purpose of my blog, to uplift others and show them that good things are coming no matter how dark the days can be. I sincerely hope that everything gets better for you, because they will. I know that you know that but I just want to let you know that I'm rooting for you. I love you dear friend!

    Oh my 12 year old self...hahaha I think I would give myself the same advice!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground