Thursday Thoughts // A Break From Regular Scheduled Programming

Thursday, February 12, 2015

//

I'm sorry about the lack of posts recently. I'm not going through anything severe. I'm not not writing for any specific reason. My writing well was just dried up this week and I set my focus on other things.

However, I did want to share a few thoughts with you today.

Side Note: Style Profile. Tomorrow. Be there. It will be absolutely lovely.

Tyler and I are in this Accounting class together. I have to take it for Public Relations and Tyler needs to take it for his business minor. This class is kicking out butt. I can't say it in any other way. It's a right forceful kick in the ass. (Sorry mom!) It brings out the worst in Tyler and I because we just don't get it and after one day of endless complaining, Tyler, in his glorious wisdom, stopped me mid-sentence and said this:

"This is a humbling experience for us, because we're not good at it and I think we are so used to being good at what we do."

And without sounding like I'm boasting about our abilities, I said, "I completely agree with you."

And I was overwhelmed with the Love of God. I was being humbled. My pride was being chipped away because I like to think that I'm good at a lot of things. I like to think that I've had a successful college career without too many failures, but here was Tyler telling me that I might fail this class, and it will be okay, because I need to experience this.

So we made a commitment to be better, and we've already made mistakes, but we both said that we would say sorry every time we made a mistake, and it's working out. Tonight we have more accounting homework so we'll have to wait and see how we go from there.

Well after we stopped complaining I felt a weight lift off of me. I felt like I was able to go throughout my day without this nasty negative burden on my shoulders and on the tip of my tongue.

I was able to get things done.

And then good things happened. Really good things happened.

Tyler got an internship this Summer in Irvine, CA with Sports 1 Marketing. This is a big deal. Tyler's dream has always been to work in the sports industry and this is his foot in the door. I couldn't be more proud of him. Tears well up in my eyes to think that one of his dreams is a reality. After being discouraged for so long, something worked out for him.

Something worked out for me too. I was worrying myself sick about this press conference I had to do for a class. Turns out, my group did the best and we got 10 extra points which is huge in PR program. Extra credit is a measly one point half of the time. This was right after Tyler found out about his internship.

So I texted him telling him the news and he sent this text back to me (in all his wisdom, of course):

"Good things are happening AROUND accounting! Which is Heavenly Father saying, "You guys are still smart and valuable, I'm just reminding you what you are actually good at."

I laughed and then shed a tear or two because he was so right.

I may not be good at everything, and that is TOTALLY COMPLETELY INCREDIBLY OKAY! It just is. You won't be perfect at all things. You could never be. Our psychological well being would be the pits if we forced ourselves to be perfect all the time. So right now I will take what I can get, and I will keep trying, because you can't give up. You have to keep going. Don't you quit, because you may not get the A but you will be able to say you overcame something hard and you realized that you have strength in other things. That's beautiful.

So don't quit. Keep going. Fail a little and glory in your success because you can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground